Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck Factory Reset and Unable to download. Please try again later. (Code: 205)

My TV has been having problem connecting to external harddisks and USB drives, it wouldn’t recognize them. Lately it also couldn’t connect to Internet, neither via wifi nor via wire. Since auto-update was on for firmware update, I thought the recent update might have affected it. So, I decided to do a factory reset.

Current Issue
However, after I have done the factory reset. It restared fine, showed the first intro screen with Samsung Smart TV logo etc, went to Step-1 and got stuck. (see pic below)

I have tried restarting, trying to reset to factory settings again but to no avail. Anyone know a solution to this problem?

J300 stuck at factory reset step 1
by yeshidorji / April 14, 2016 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1
HI there
I purchased Samsug 55″ Curve TV,model code UA55J6300 from Bangkok in January 2016 and ever since i started using the TV in end February there was problems after problems.

1. Most of the time ‘No content found’ message was shown even in 8GB USB drive which very well works in other TV.
2.Yesterday, another issue surfaced which says ‘no channel found’ when ever I switched off and on the TV.
3.Then i was asked to set up the TV where another problem came. The TV froze with white screen at step 1.Now i cant do anything with the TV.

After several attempts with Samsung support team, I was directed to Bangkok samsung support site where the site was in Thai language which either the language translator didn’t help.

Looks like this issue was there long time back and I am sure concerned samsung team will respond with solution soon.

Can you share the solution for this,please.
by yeshidorji / April 14, 2016 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1
Hi

I am also facing the same issue,so if you solved the issue,please share the solution.

Just an idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2015 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1
One more time but unplug all HDMI, USB things and cables. Pull the power plug for a few minutes then apply power and try one more time. If not, call it in. Most curved models are very new, in warranty so let Samsung do their thing.

Thanks
by mncrft / July 19, 2015 8:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Just an idea.
I called to Samsung Support and did the basic troubleshooting but to no avail. Samsung said will assign a technician to look into it. Thank you for the reply.

Re: Frozen
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 19, 2015 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1
Hello, I apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please send me an e-mail with the model & serial of the unit? I’d like to look into this further for you. qasupport@sea.samsung.com

I look forward to speaking with you,

–HD Tech

Sent
by mncrft / July 19, 2015 8:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Frozen
Please check the email, I sent the required info.

Exactly same issue
by mehran-tm / September 13, 2015 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1
I have the exact same issue. I am software developer and seems this TV has a lot of bugs in its firmware. I had several issues including losing all saved channels, problems in downloading apps for the Smart Hub (Unable to download, error code 205), resetting login credentials for Netflix and other apps. Unexpected termination of apps including Netflix etc. Finally I tried to reset it using the menu and the same problem mentioned in this post happened for me. Now when I turn on this TV it shows the logo and then it stuck and no menu will be shown, fully black screen with some back light. I have no idea how to fix it. Please help.

Update:
by mncrft / September 13, 2015 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1
I wanted to update this thread for the benefit of all. Since my TV was a new TV and under warranty, they have changed the motherboard of the TV. Now it’s back to normal but I wouldn’t say without issue.

Current issues I’m still having:
– Unable to detect external harddisks and thumb drives
– Even if it detects, not all files will show (some files are missing, when I connect to my PC, all the files are actually there. So, it’s a TV detection issue)
– YouTube app keeps on logging out
– TV Channels are not stored, once in a while they will disappear and ask me to scan again from the beginning
– SmartHub keeps on asking me to setup from the beginning (intermittently)

TV is great, but software is very buggy, obviously. Samsung support team is doing a great job but it’s the responsibility of the dev team to inform and communicate to the customers on what’s happening with their system. And what fixes are being applied at the moment to the next firmware update. I would suggest the dev team to come up with a website for us to check:

– Status of the Smart Hub, whether it’s currently up or down
– What’s the latest firmware for particular TV/product
– Detailed info on fixing long standing issues (detecting external hard disk issues, youtube app issues, updates being stuck in the middle of the update issues etc)

All in all, my next TV won’t be Samsung for sure. Unless their dev team comes up with a better communication to the customers on the product software updates, fixes, issues etc.

About the missing files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2015 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Update:
I believe I read that files do not show if the TV can’t play or decode them.

That said, I run into a lot of folk that want all the files that play on their PC to play on the TV. Sorry folk, but until there’s a PC in that TV this isn’t happening.

And about Smart Hub up or down. I lucked into a conversation about that and it’s a long discussion about what up or down is. I don’t want to upset you but it’s really hard for their end to go down as it’s cloud based. That doesn’t mean that ATT’s DNS or another carrier’s DNS issues won’t make it look down but since Samsung doesn’t control ATT’s DNS then it’s not a Samsung fault?

That’s too much for most consumers to think about and why a re-think about DNS and such is needed. That said, there are workarounds for bum DNS but Samsung has taken the approach that the DNS needs to work so when the ISP such as ATT had stale DNS records, well, Samsung got a lot of calls.

more update
by mncrft / September 14, 2015 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: About the missing files.
Let me provide more information for clarification purposes, for the benefit of others.

Regarding the files, I was not talking about files that are not supported in Samsung TV. I was just talking about normal media files. PNG, JPG, AVI, MP4 etc. As mentioned, it’s an intermittent issue, sometimes TV would detect my hard disk and sometimes it wouldn’t. Sometimes when it detects, it would only partially detect the files. And the rest would be showing empty folders. This is not just for particular hard disk, it happens to any USB device; thumb drives, flash drives etc.

As for Smart Hub being down, it would be beneficial if Samsung just alerted people about their service being down. Because I will be trying Google’s DNS (8.8.8.8), Open DNS (208.67.222.222), My own ISPs DNS etc. Nothing would work. In that case, I just have to wait until SmartHub is up on its own and after a while it would be working on its own without my changing any DNS settings.

Samsung Dev team needs to really step up. Setup a twitter account if you can’t provide a proper status webpage (eg: http://status.twitter.com/, https://twitter.com/wa_status).

Those are “normal” files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2015 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: more update
And it’s well discussed about these TVs fail to decode this or that. On top of that the TV may stop listing what’s in a folder after it hits one it can’t decode.

Smart TVs are not PCs so we can’t install better decoders. And most consumers don’t want to find out what the encoding is, what the limits are so we are left with a rather upset group of folk that want what works on their PC to work on the Smart TV.

-> Back to Smart Hub being down. In some post I shared a little about a conversation but it was clear I couldn’t tell all. But I can share the system is in the cloud so one instance of it going down doesn’t bring down Smart Hub. You did note the usual work around for ISP DNS issues which I wish Samsung would just add code to do that without consumers having to be network administrators.

Here’s my view. It’s an appliance, limited in what it’s base code is and nowhere close to a PC.

more update..
by mncrft / September 21, 2015 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Those are “normal” files.
I wasn’t talking about “decoding” files. Anyway.. I’m not here to argue with you (“undercover samsung support guy”) but to state my issues so that others may benefit from it.

Update: Yesterday Samsung Tech Support came, changed the motherboard of the TV yet again. It has resolved most of the issues, but intermittent issues remain, which are:

– Intermittent inability to detect external hard disks and thumb drives. Sometimes it detects but tells that the thumb drive/harddisk is empty.
– Unable to connect to SmartHub, stuck at Terms and Conditions step. I have changed the DNS IP but this time, no avail. So I’m just not going to bother about it for the next few days..

See how it goes.

I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2015 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: more update..
If a drive is detected but no files, it’s all about Samsung decoding those files.

Here’s the thing. Consumers do not want to know how this works. They don’t want to know or discuss it. Proof is here in these forums. The TV makers are going to have to do a lot better in explaining how their products work or pay the license/patent fees to decode it all.

Manual
by hpp8140 / September 22, 2015 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I hear you.
I would verify the usb drive format and media files specs in manual. Page 126.

That’s not enough from my discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2015 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Manual
The average Joe/Jane looks at the drive and may figure out if it’s NTFS or FAT32 but then we have TVs that sometimes play with or not USB 3.0. Newer models got better about that issue.

But folk read MKV is supported but then it doesn’t work. We are then discussing that MKV is a container format and the AV encoding in the container matters. At that point half the audience is lost.

R. Proffitt speaks the truth
by hpp8140 / September 22, 2015 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: That’s not enough from my discussions.
IT IS ALL ABOUT THE DETAILS, which is often left out of the vague marketing gibberish on the box to make most non tech consumers feel at ease, but pisses off technical folks like myself, because without the details the marketing is useless wording.

REPLY THIS WAS HELPFUL (1)

Same issue
by shail1028 / November 26, 2015 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1
Today i noticed that a newer version of firmware was available for the TV. When tried to install, it said update failed.
Contacted the customer support through chat. They did some basic troubleshooting and asked to reset the TV to factory defaults. After I did reset, it played a music and never came back up. Now every time i restart it, it displays the welcome logo and plays the same music, then a blank screen. Support guy asked to open a SR.

If this is a known issue and reproducible at so many customer places, how can samsung continue selling this model? they should recall the whole batch from the market and fix the problem.

This is so unprofessional for a company like Samsung. i am not buying or recommending any Samsung product to anyone.

Prior to this noticed other problems as well like usb drive and hard drives not showing any content, logging out of Netflix, crashing of smart HUB.

For me, I turn off smart hub and add
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2015 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: Same issue
Roku, Amazon Fire TV or other. Much better.

PAIR YOUR REMOTE
by br89fordlx / January 19, 2016 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1
Called support and just needed to pair the remote after reset (even though the power button worked on the remote…). Hold the remote 12″ from tv, then hold RETURN and GUIDE buttons down for 10 seconds. Bottom left of screen will show graphic for pairing and you will be able to proceed. Easy breezy.

PAIR YOUR REMOTE
by br89fordlx / January 19, 2016 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1

Same Problem.
by Ram Shrestha / May 6, 2016 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LED Smart TV J6300 Stuck at Factory Reset Step-1
First the TV could not connect to wireless network. So after I read some discussions in the internet I tried to update firmware of the TV. There was no external interruption during the process but the TV didn’t complete update, and displayed error “Could not complete update”. After restarting the TV showed setup process with 5 steps. Things went well upto 3rd step. But at 4th step which “Select the source of your TV signal” the TV froze. No response and I waited whole night but the setup process stuck. I am frustrated, What can I do now? Please suggest me. If this is the bug in Samsung TV software then I wont recommend anyone to buy samsung products.

Did you get Solution?
by Werner_Hey / December 17, 2016 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Same Problem.
Hi Ram, I have the exact same problem , stuck on step 4, wont do anything after that. Samsung support can only sends someone in a wees time! Could you tel me what you did to resolve this?

same problem
by mupompa / January 17, 2017 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Same Problem.
Hi Ram,
I have the same issue…can u please share the solution?
Thanks